Thursday, August 8, 2013

The Better Me Project

So, something kind of crazy happened with the new baby, at least as it pertains to my self-concept and fitness.  Specifically, I was fairly overweight when I got pregnant.  I was, quite frankly, harassed about it by my medical providers, and I was careful not to gain much.  So when I came home from the hospital four days after Hal was born, I was surprised to find that I was back at my pre-baby weight.  A week after that, I was ten pounds down.  

Like many women I've tried to lose weight on and off my whole life.  I think I started really worrying about it when I gained weight in 10th grade and zoomed from 120 to 135.  135!  It seems like an unattainable weight now, but I thought I'd suddenly become fat.  I never got especially emotionally unhinged by it, but over the years I attempted to lose weight, and I failed.  The pounds crept inexorably up.  

Anyway, what with the unexpected jump start, I decided to tackle weight loss again.  I decided it would be different this time.  I managed to lose 25 pounds.  So, so far so good.  I'm going to talk a little here about that, as I puzzle over it in my own mind.  This time it's working, but why?

No comments:

Post a Comment