Thursday, December 23, 2010

Bacon! The Brining Process


Bacon Cure 1
Originally uploaded by Athens Nikita
First, let me say that if you're looking for precision, fussiness, and a bunch of exact measurements for this process, you're looking at the wrong girl. While I can be precise and technical at times, I rarely choose to be for any reason when I'm not doing things that other people would like to be done precisely, like work.

Now, with that parts aside, I'll share this process, which is not at all precise. It goes something like: take your pork belly and slather it with lots of salt and other stuff.

In my case, I am experimenting with three cures in a dry brine, each of which ends up being a mixture of about 3/4ths of a cup.

Bachelor #1 consists of 1/2 salt mix (and that's half Morton's and half hand-ground sea salt) and half Two Sisters Peppery Mix.

Bachelor #2 consists of 3/4ths salt mix, a punch of Peppery Mix, a pinch of sugar, and three cloves of minced garlic.

Bachelor #3 consists of a pinch of hand-ground pepper, 1/3rd cup of salt mix and 1/3rd cup brown sugar.

It's a very complicated process, really. Basically you take whatever it is that you have mixed and rub it all over the meat. And the result is this gorgeous-looking thing you see in the photo.

Stripey, meaty, rainbowy pre-bacon!

No comments:

Post a Comment