Thursday, June 1, 2017

The Last Two Weeks

Derby practice since CT has been great in a lot of ways and challenging in a few others. Just before CT I finally got treatment for what turned out to be walking pneumonia, and was exacerbating a severe arthritis flareup.  I felt like my feet and ankles just would not do what I wanted them to -- because they wouldn't.  They were painful, hot and stiff pretty much all the time, while I was also wheezing.  So...could be better, for sure. 

The time since that game has been a series of improvements, in many regards, with some setbacks. I am starting, finally, to play my game again, the way I can play when I am at my best.  I'm going to continue to work through this stuff, with the hopes of getting to my full potential.

Good, today:
1. Power is returning.  I am finally at the point where I feel at like 90% of my physical capability.  Had a lot of successful jam, and blocking was reasonably competent.
2. Stopped holding myself back. I think because of the pain I just was not using my full power. I'd go in for a hit and sort of hold back a little, because I knew it was going to hurt a lot.  Well, it doesn't hurt much any more. I'm not holding back.
3. Played low -- used my hips or full body checks, instead of my shoulders. Was largely legal.

Bad:
1. I was not thoroughly in it to win it, mentally.  It was almost like there was a tape running in the background, distracting me.  I was often moving slower than is ideal, because preoccupation.
2. Feet/ankles are not quite there, but they're getting there.  Gotta keep at it.

To Work on:
1. Everything.  Mainly getting the feet/ankles in shape.
2. Keep building on things that are working.

No comments:

Post a Comment