Sunday, August 7, 2016

York vs. Plan B

So, so many thoughts on this one.  For one thing, I played a bunch of roles -- I feel like I learned a lot in each of them.

As a captain -- it was frustrating, but also energizing.  Frustrating because the communication among the coach, alternate and myself was not as good as it could have been.  Frustrating because there were some issues where we didn't agree on the resolution, and so they continued to be unresolved.  I think that situation will be readily evident in the stats, whenever they appear, but afterwards I'm thinking about a ways I can more proactively handle these issues if they come up again. Or if I get to captain again.

As a jammer -- I was probably our 3rd or 4th most effective jammer, and there was definitely room to improve.  However, I did improve, even in the game -- I think the stats will bear that out as they materialize -- and there are some moments I'm definitely proud of.  In general, I didn't go much to the negative or positive, which obviously kept us in the game but didn't help us turn it around and gain a win.  So...got to work on it.  But generally, I didn't die, and I did make a positive difference.  My proudest moment was once when I was being blocked by one of the opposing players on the apex, and I did the world's tiniest apex jump (like 4" off the ground as I was already striding) and went right past her.  Of course, then I got a delayed penalty from shortly beforehand, so WOMP WOMP.  But the apex jump kept me smiling in the penalty box. And I made some smart decisions that I'm proud of throughout -- I just wasn't as effective as I'd ultimately like to be.

As a blocker -- I got the MVP!  I don't actually feel I played all that well, in general, though.  I made some idiotic mistakes that cost us.  Mainly not being as alert or tough to move around as I'm capable of being.  We as a team let the other team define our pack for us too often.  But I did on a few occasions make the opposing jammer call it off by shutting her down or just plain flattening her.  I'm probably proudest of the time I was pivoting and my toe cover failed and was wrapping itself around my wheel as my jammer was really getting murdered.  I managed to take the star pass and force a call off regardless.

Finally, at halftime I was very proud to have zero penalties.  But by the end I had racked up three or four.  1-2 were pack definition penalties, where I felt I was complying.  So ultimately I want to watch some tape and see what really happened there and how we/I can improve it.  But no forearms!  Woot woot!

Tl; dr: Good game. Next one will be better.





No comments:

Post a Comment