Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Gardening in PA


Echinacea purpurea
Originally uploaded by Athens Nikita
You know what I love about this state as opposed to my old state?

I love the end-of-season/hot weather sales, which occur when it's about to get vaguely hot for a few weeks. Don't get me wrong -- it does get hot. But it's also windy, so it doesn't feel that hot, and the heat only lasts a month or so rather than the ALL ETERNITY that it feels like in Georgia. So, in Georgia I buy plants at heat wave sales and the chances of them surviving are pretty remote. In Pennsylvania I buy them and their chances are upwards of 75%.

Or anyway, that's what I told myself yesterday. I was able to buy eight gallon-sized foxgloves and eight large square-potted echinacea purpurea plants. Grant broke the clay soil, mixed it in with potting soil, and extended the existing beds about 6 feet for the echinacea last night -- he's planting the foxgloves today.

No comments:

Post a Comment